What is GM Bot and Why Should You Worry about it?
- Spy on victims
- Delete data from the infected device
- Gain boot persistence to help survive device restart
- Send and Read your SMS message
- Make Calls to your contacts
- Read the phone’s state
- Plague phone’s control keys
- Infect your Chrome browser
- Change phone settings
- Force the phone into sleep mode
- Query the network status
- Access the Internet
- Wipe your device’s storage (the most critical capabilities of the malware)
GM Bot Android Malware Source Code for FREE
“Those who received the password, in turn, passed it on to other, unintended users, so the actual distribution of the code went well beyond that discussion board’s member list,” IBM cyber security evangelist Limor Kessem wrote in a blog post.
How to Protect Yourself?
- Never open attachments from unknown sources.
- Never click on links in SMS or MMS messages sent to your phone.
- Even if the email looks legit, go directly to the source website and verify any possible updates.
- Go to Settings → Security → Turn OFF “Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store” option.
- Always keep an up-to-date Anti-virus app on your Android devices.
- Avoid unknown and unsecured Wi-Fi hotspots and Keep your Wi-Fi turned OFF when not in use.